About the CD
Playing in Traffic, which was released in July 2010, is what Olivia Korkola refers to as the “next logical step” in her career. The 13 track album is a compilation of original and traditional fiddle music with Cape Breton, French Canadian, Scottish and Irish influences.
The CD’s title stems from a comparison the artist makes of her busy teenage life and gathering the notes and rhythms of her music, yet the album showcases her years of study and an intuitive connection to her craft.
Olivia spearheaded the project at the age of 15 with Canadian fiddle champion and Juno nominee, Pierre Schryer on board as producer, and soon dove into the almost endless tasks of schedule arranging, negotiations and, the best part, working with massively talented and well-known artists.
Featured artists appearing on Playing in Traffic include musicians who have influenced and inspired Olivia along the way. These include producer Pierre Schryer, ECMA winner Brenda Stubbert, members of the Thunder Bay Symphony Orchestra (Track 12, “Tanera Mor”), and multiple Juno and ECMA winner Ashley MacIsaac, whom she considers a mentor. “I can’t tell you how thrilled I was when Ashley offered to record with me on my CD,” Olivia told Bayview Magazine. “It doesn’t get much better than that!”
The CD tracks were recorded and engineered by Rob Nickerson Recording in Thunder Bay with the exception of Tracks 2 and 6, which were recorded at Sound Park Studios in Sydney, Nova Scotia.
Described as “joyful” and “perfectly stellar,” this engaging album is available at HMV, Chapters/Indigo, ITunes and various local music stores in Thunder Bay, Cape Breton, and British Columbia.
- Morning Dew / Tom Ward’s Downfall / Star of Munster
- Christie Campbell Strathspey / The Thunderbolt Reel / Olivia’s Reel / The Weasel
- Reel à Joseph / Éolie / Saint-Antoine
- The New Canadian Waltz
- Black and White Rag
- My Mind Will Never be Aisy / G-Jig / Gabe’s Hospitality (feat. Brenda Stubbert)
- The Bonnie Lass o’Bon Accord / The Hurricane (feat. Ashley MacIsaac)
- Beautiful Lake Ainslie
- Clare Jig / Buttermilk Mary / Carmen’s Amber
- Reel de Maillette / St. Anne’s Reel / Philip’s Reel
- St. Joseph Island Jig / Peter Gray / Kiley’s Reel
- Tanera Mor
- Chorus Jig / Jesse Korkola’s Strathspey / Francis Beaton’s / The Snow Plough (feat. Jesse Korkola)